Saturday, November 4, 2023

The Sirens of Calypso- Upload Schedule and introductions

I'd been wanting to upload the full story onto this blog for a while. 
After much delay, I think I'm finally ready to give it a try.

This post might be more for my use than anyone else's, but I'll include one or two things that will "enhance" the reading process. If only to give everyone else a few hints of how I envisioned it in my head if the writing itself doesn't make that super clear.

Scheduling

In terms of upload schedule, this is how things are going to work:
I'll reread the story in batches of chapters, make what remaining editing changes I need, and post them. One chapter at a time, one per day. And if I stop posting consistently for a while, I'm currently busy reading/editing the next batch.

Just to give an example: the first set of chapters all take place in the same night. 
The way I wrote this, I'll sometimes have several chapters taking place within hours of each other. Others, there's a bit of a time jump so the time between one to the next is days/weeks apart. 
I have no set timeline for everything to be uploaded, but I'll try to remain consistent if I can.

Editing Notes

Each chapter, I'll enter exactly as it's written in my 250+ page Word document... with one exception:
The handful of sex scenes will be edited down to a couple of sentences. For the sake of posting it on a blog only a few people (most of which will be family) will read, I'd rather leave the "full" content for whenever the book gets published. Assuming that's in my future. 
Nothing 
gratuitous- all of it has some sort of purpose for the story. And in Talia's case, that's just part of her character. A very complicated part of her character.

Also, all the inspiration for these moments came from some R-rated movies and TV series. Nothing is autobiographical, I promise. 

Setting the Scene(s)

At the end of each chapter, I'll include a few linear notes.
If the chapter features or was inspired by a particular song (and most of them are), I'll include them at the bottom. 
If there's a performance, I'll include the dance style.

In my mind, this story is a mix of Dancing with the Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, Broadway musicals, Purple Rain, and classic MTV music videos.

The story is located on a fictional island in somewhere in the Caribbean. Somewhat of a melting pot of different cultures. All of the characters have Spanish roots, but it's most prominent in Talia and Alejandro. Despite it being one of the main languages on the island, none of the other sirens know or speak Spanish.
It's one of those resort type islands that thrives on tourism. All of the main streets lead to Calypso, the venue where the sirens perform. Some of the buildings are thriving businesses, some have been condemned for some time. The rent is high in the apartment buildings where the sirens live, which is why the supplemental income from their side hustles is needed.

Then there's another side of town known as The Underground, which is the gritty side of town the tourists aren't meant to see. This comes into play later in the story, but it's noteworthy because of the streetwalkers that roam at night. They're the type of prostitutes most people would think of. They're controlled by their pimps, either by money or drugs, and have accepted their fate. And they hate the Calypso girls who "choose" to sell themselves for money when they actually have a choice to do otherwise. 
...I'm making sort of a big deal about this, but really, only a chapter or two focuses on the dark underbelly of the island. And it helps to set the scene.

The story takes place during the course of summer at the height of tourist season.
Emilia is making her debut as the newest siren at Calypso and Juan Paulo (Talia's future love interest) will be vacationing with former schoolmate, Javier, for the summer.

She won't come out and admit it, but Talia has been in a rut for some time. Whether or not she's ready for it, that's about to change.

What's in a Name?

Originally, my title for the project was "Te Busque", the middle track of Nelly Furtado's "Loose" album. (Not sure if this is the correct prounciation but in the song, I hear it pronounced as "ta-boos-kay"). But since I don't speak Spanish and don't want to imply the story will be in Spanish, I figured "The Sirens of Calypso" was a good substitute. 
I thought about using a character's name followed by "and the sirens of Calypso" but I couldn't choose a specific one. I began writing with Talia in mind as the main character, but her screentime takes a major hit at the halfway point. I could used a few other sirens in her place, but their screentime isn't significant enough to warrant them being in the title.
I thought for a second about Alejandro or Juan Paulo, but Talia wouldn't appreciate that very much. If that doesn't make sense yet, it will very soon. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading this. Sounds like an interesting plot with complex characters.

    ReplyDelete