Thursday, September 26, 2013

Contemplation: a Halloween-themed short story

Yesterday, we were going into Home Depot and they already had pumpkins out front.

I was thinking about how I had no idea what I wanted to carve into my jack-o-lantern this year.

A couple hours later, not only was I starting into an idea, but started brainstorming about a potential short story with all kinds of Halloween-themed imagery.

I drafted a list of key words last year with the intention of writing this story.
Only now I have a protagonist.

In some way, my pumpkin is gonna have the image of a witch (possibly "witches") brewing a potion in a cauldron... perhaps with the silhouette of a cap on the edge of said cauldron.

I'm not the best artist in the world unless they happen to be animé characters.
But I'd love to have the chance to carve a pumpkin from my own sketch.

...

Some ideas I have so far.

The witch is brewing something in her cauldron that'll be important later in the story.
In the long run, I'm thinking it has to do with a vampire bat. That maybe a friend of hers or her vampire boyfriend was turned into a bat by a jealous warlock.

When I think Halloween, I think about bats. Cats are familiars to witches... now I'm thinking about "Kiki's Delivery Service", how her best friend was a black cat named Gigi, voiced by Phil Hartman in his final movie appearance.
Should probably add that to my list of Halloween movies alongside:

Young Frankenstein
Sweeny Todd
Sleepy Hollow
Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video

I kinda came to realize the other week that because of Halloween, October is a month that belongs to Tim Burton and Johnny Depp... but Captain Jack Sparrow is good for any time of the year (although a pirate was what I did on my pumpkin last year).

I really ought to take to my movie blog to go into that kind of stuff :-P
http://moviegoerconfessions.blogspot.com
...

Black & Orange are the official colors of Halloween, so there should be plenty of that.
There has to be at least a black and she has a vampire bat as a frequent visitor.
A couple of birds I associate with witchcraft and this time of year are owls and crows. I saw a couple of washcloths in Target featuring ravens and "Nevermore"... I ought to reread The Raven within the next month.

Autumn leaves go without saying. Imagery with the phases of the moon might be cool and perhaps integral to the storyline.

All of the typical "horror movie monsters" come to mind. A lot of them are featured in the Mortal Instruments series (I'm not quite halfway through "City of Ashes" right now). Vampires, Werewolves, Warlocks and Fairies.

Not sure if I have room for a werewolf in addition to a witch, vampire bat and [potentially]  a warlock, but I'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment